Healthy gums are an important part of maintaining excellent oral health. Finding ways to improve your gum health can minimize your risk of developing gum disease. In advanced cases, gum disease may lead to tooth and bone loss. Taking preventive measure now can help you avoid complications in the future.
Dr. Brent Blaylock offers a full range of restorative, general, and periodontal dentistry services to improve your oral health. Dr. Blaylock can work with you to develop a treatment plan that addresses all of your needs. If you have not visited the dentist in a while, visit our Durham, NC dental office for the care you need. To schedule an appointment, call 919.518.9963 or request an appointment online.
Improve Your Gum Health
- Floss regularly. Brushing your teeth is not enough to properly clean your teeth. Flossing helps remove food and plaque between the teeth. Most dentists recommend patients floss at least once a day.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Brushing your teeth can help remove food particles, debris, and plaque from the mouth. Patients should also brush their tongue to get rid of bacteria. Find a toothbrush that works for you; some patients prefer a soft, medium, or hard bristle toothbrush.
- Get regular dental cleanings. Most patients will receive a dental cleaning at their preventive care exam. Usually, a dental hygienist will perform your dental cleaning. A dental cleaning can help remove plaque build-up that regular brushing and flossing can not reach.
- Visit the dentist regularly. Regular visits to the dentist allow your dentist to screen your teeth and gums for any developing oral health concerns.
- Quit smoking. Smoking puts you at a higher risk of developing gum disease, tooth decay, and oral cancer. Smoking also affects the healing rate of damaged gums. Smoking also weakens your immune system, which makes it harder for you to fight off infections.